Peggy Fox


Peggy Fox - Breathing Easy Since 2009

In February, 2000, Peggy started experiencing shortness of breath, dizziness and tightness in the chest. The shortness of breath became so intense that at times it was hard to carry on a conversation. Her energy level had plummeted as well. After a visit to her family physician she was encouraged to exercise, lose some weight and get in shape.

Although Peggy tried to incorporate walking into her nightly routine, she soon discovered that it was too strenuous and her symptoms became worse.

In May, 2000, Peggy ended up in the Emergency Room with chest pains. Her family feared that she was suffering a heart attack. The ER Doctor ordered an EKG and the results were abnormal. Peggy was admitted to the hospital and an angioplasty was performed. The ER Doctor had contacted a Cardiologist, Dr. Peter Engel, located in Cincinnati, OH. An appointment was scheduled for Peggy to visit Dr. Engel.

Dr. Engel advised Peggy that he believed she was suffering from Pulmonary Hypertension. She would need to undergo further testing. After a series of testing, Peggy’s official diagnosis was Pulmonary Hypertension. In August 2000, Peggy was admitted to the hospital to have a hickman catheter inserted in order to receive flolan treatments.

Over Peggy’s 9 year journey with PH, she visited Rush Hospital in Chicago, Cleveland Clinic Foundation in Ohio, and University of Kentucky hospital in Kentucky, along with her regular appointments with Dr. Engel in Cincinnati, Ohio. During her visit to Chicago, it was confirmed that Peggy suffered from the rarest form of PH, known as PVOD. (Pulmonary-Veno-Occlusive Disease).

Peggy began the process of double lung transplant listing. Peggy was approved in June, 2003, however, suffering additional illness, she was removed from the list a year later.

During her journey, Peggy suffered a heart attack, stroke and TIA’s. Peggy remained on a high dosage of oxygen around the clock and was pretty much home bound in the last 5 years of her life. 

Unfortunately, Peggy did not respond well to flolan. The hickman catheter was removed and Peggy remained on tracleer , as well as various other medications until her passing.

Peggy always believed in the power of prayer, the dedication of the medical field and the over pouring support from friends and family. Her motto was “believe”….believe that you can still have a good quality of life, believe in your doctors, believe in yourself. God Bless.